When to upgrade a PC or not - the justification - Intel vs AMD
by Mountain Computers Inc., Publication Date: Saturday, October 30, 2021
View Count: 114, Keywords: PC, Upgrade, Reasoning, Justification, Hashtags: #PC #Upgrade #Reasoning #Justification
After several decades of upgrading computers instead of buying new, the same story continues.
what is the justification to upgrade versus buy new?
1. It used to be 50/50 rule, if you hit a repair cost that is over 50% to the price of buying new, then its worth considering buying new.
2. Then, it became the issue of OEM versus proprietary parts or not, special use cases, etc.
3. Now, it has become, supply chain woes where quad core is good enough and six to eight core is overkill
That leads me to the following; in this day and age, the following is criteria to upgrade when:
1. the pc motherboard and cpu are good enough if the CPU is a quad core 2.5Ghz or higher, a real quad core, not a dual core with hyper threading, and the motherboard max RAM potential is at least 16GB (4x4, 2x8, etc) or greater.
2. upgrade the RAM from 2GB or 4GB to 8GB or 16GB
3. upgrade and clone the SATA spinning platter magnetic drive to SSD
Those are my justification suggestions for now. So far this last month, just 5 upgrades. Not bad. Usually 5-10 is the norm and in some cases a few less or a few more.
more to come...
if you found this article helpful, consider contributing $10, 20 an Andrew Jackson or so..to the author. more authors coming soon
FYI we use paypal or patreon, patreon has 3x the transaction fees, so we don't, not yet.
© 2022 myBlog™ v1.1 All rights reserved. We count views as reads, so let's not over think it.