Linux Mint 19.3 and TP-Link AC1300 Archer T4U v2 not working when plugged in -- compile rtl8812au from github and install module
by Mountain Computers Inc., Publication Date: Wednesday, March 4, 2020
View Count: 1733, Keywords: Linux Mint 19.3, kernel 5.0.0-32-generic, gcc 7.4.0, TP-Link, Archer T4U AC1300, Compiling drivers, errors, fixes, Hashtags: #LinuxMint19.3 #kernel5.0.0-32-generic #gcc7.4.0 #TP-Link #ArcherT4UAC1300 #Compilingdrivers #errors #fixes
I am using Linux Mint 19.3, installed it off the grib via USB and not with a network cable plugged in...yep, no network cat5e rj45 connection. well, my wireless adapter from TP-Link won't pick up after installation and reboot. So, I download the driver and read the instructions, and no RPM or DEB or whatever, just production and beta code with MAKE and compile instructions.
First try, does not work.
Second try, after going through the compilation errors, still does not work.
Third try, works. Quirky at best. I'll post the log and solution and driver type so we can all learn. (see below). yes, took me 3 hours to figure it out. a very good lesson learned.
The TP-Link I have is Archer T4U version 2.0 - its chipset is realtek 8812au,
1. download the zip, extract from it to the exact same folder as you downloaded (that's fine).
2. bring up a terminal window, change directory to Download/rtl8812au-master
3. type make clean
4. type make
5. once compilation is done, type sudo cp 8812au.ko /lib/modules/[kernelversion]/kernel/net/wireless/
6. type sudo insmod 8812au.ko
7. plug in your TP-Link usb wifi adapter.. green blinking light should start
8. verify driver installed, type lsmod | grep 8812
9. verify actively working, type lshw -c network
10. click on your network ethernet adapter and wifi networks should appear...
BONUS Question: if the kernel is updated, does the installed module automatically migrate to the new kernel sub folder? No. I will show you the answer later. If you need to, try to figure it out.
if you found this article helpful, consider contributing $10, 20 an Andrew Jackson or so..to the author. more authors coming soon
FYI we use paypal or patreon, patreon has 3x the transaction fees, so we don't, not yet.
© 2021 myBlog™ v1.1 All rights reserved. We count views as reads, so let's not over think it.